Wednesday, September 10, 2008

90210 for suckers

Back story: I used to be a huge Beverly Hills 90210 addict. No one understands this more than my father who shared the use of the living room television with me so that I could watch it. My father who, after we got satellite television (think four WB channels with 90210 reruns practically all day long) actually knew some of the characters and story lines of the show. 90210 ran for 10 years, until 2000, and I bawled with my friend Jennifer on the phone when the last episode aired. (We used to call each other during every commercial and gab about the atrocities at West Beverly High.)

My night tonight: I watched the new 90210 on the CW (the new WB) for the second time. The first episode wasn't so fantastic. I don't really care for any of the new characters. But there are ORIGINAL cast members on the show.

And the writers are cruel. Turns out I will watch this new show that isn't all that fascinating to me--just to see an occasional appearance of Nat at the Peach Pit or Kelly and Brenda actually having a civil conversation. Or to find out who the father of Kelly Taylor's son is--information, which Rob knowingly pointed out, I would obviously not discover in the second episode.

They have to keep original viewers like me hooked! And it's working. I sat watching the last half hour of the show (through COMMERCIALS because I failed to record it on the DVR!) blurting out "Just TELL me who Sam's dad is!" and Rob looking at me like I'm totally bonkers. And looking at me like GREAT, not only are you going to watch America's Next Top Model on Wednesdays, you are going to watch the encore presentation of this crappy show.

No comments:

Post a Comment