Monday, January 09, 2012

The elephant in the room

Time to talk elephant baby.

In the middle of October, I started to suspect that I was pregnant.  Or that I had some sort of stomach disease.

So I went off to Target, all the way there thinking of the random stuff I would have to put in my basket before picking up the pregnancy tests, so as to hide them in case I ran into students or anyone else I know (which only happens when buying things like tampons or jumbo packs of toilet paper or a plunger).  I shopped for some clothes, some extra deodorant and toothpaste, and a few random things I can always use extras of in the kitchen like shredded cheese, onions, and peppers.  I casually strolled by the pharmacy area, found exactly where the pregnancy tests were located, quickly stuffed the box of First Response tests at the bottom of my basket and made my way to the checkout.

At the checkout, all I could think of was Kevin McCallister in Home Alone.....when he was in the store and the checker gal commented on what he was buying.  She held up a pack of army men and Kevin--chuckling nervously--said "For the kids!"  Even though I knew it was ludicrous, I imagined my checker gal holding up the pack of pregnancy tests, eyeing me suspiciously, while a bunch of people I knew gathered in line behind me.  "For the kid!" I would say.

Thankfully that didn't happen.

While I was at home reading the directions (which seemed rather simple.....so I reread and reread because I have heard so often that women fail to do the test right or do not correctly interpret the results), I had a couple coworkers calling me wanting to grab a drink (the irony).  I was forced to ignore the calls from the local watering hole in order to confirm to Rob that the test in fact showed two lines!!

And then I took another test the next morning.  (And another one the next day....)


And now we are expecting a baby in June!

1 comment:

  1. Sally, congratulations on both!!!

    ReplyDelete