Thursday, July 05, 2012

This. is. so. hard.

We are so tired!  It is so much work to keep this little guy fed and diapered!  But we are making it.  I take care of Mace....make sure he is eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping, and especially being cuddled....and Rob takes care of both of us....he's doing an amazing job.  

But this is hard!  I have definitely cried into my dinner plate a few times in the last week (thanks to Rob I even have a dinner plate! ....as when I'm home alone I manage to eat whatever I can grab handfuls of out of the pantry...) from sleep deprivation, stress, and probably my changing chemical/hormonal balances.

The end of the day is when everything seems to hit at once.

We have a child.  He depends on me to eat.  Aftermath of giving birth is apparently a big secret because no one warned me of the stuff I'd still be dealing with two weeks later.  Our parents are two and a half hours away.  Rob's mom is gone.  There is nothing like having a baby to make you miss your mother even more than you already do.

We both scour the internet constantly for reviews of baby products and to try to find answers to all the things we're (I'm) paranoid about.  Are we putting him to sleep the right way?  Are his bilirubin levels normal now?  Did we make the right choice for daycare when I go back to work?  Why do I have to work?  Why should someone else get to hold my baby all day while I take care of and try to teach other kids?  Is his car seat set up right?  Does his breathing sound normal?  Is he going to be happy here with us?  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Like all new parents, probably.

I can't believe Mace is two weeks old already.  Two weeks in pregnancy time = a millennium. Two weeks in baby time goes by in a flash.  Rob and I were talking on our drive back to Indee about how a year ago when we went home for the 4th, we had Lilly running around the golf course and Ryan trying to get her to jump in the ponds.....Rob's mom rode around with us on the golf cart and life was good.  A year ago we had no clue what life would be like now.  Things have sure changed.  A year from now, Mace will be a year old and who knows what else will have happened.

As hard as this newborn stage is, this little one is totally worth the sleep deprivation and cluelessness we are feeling.  We feel so lucky to be the ones to take care of him and watch him grow up.....


Wiped out.....

Soooooo tiny....and sleepy....(and still a little jaundiced in this one....
his face is the same color as his onesie!...)

Awake after eating early in the morning......


A very cute sleeper......



Big yawns......

So sweet.....

Proud papa.....

Flowers from Rob's dad and aunt & uncle.......


And to keep me going on dropping those lbs, here is what I looked like approx one week postpartum...

1 comment: