Tuesday, August 28, 2012

*Yawn*

Everything I read says "put your baby down when they are sleepy but still awake so they learn to fall asleep on their own!"  I think we have managed to do that.....maybe.....twice?  Usually Mace falls asleep in our arms or while he's eating and then we put him down.  He has been sleeping in his Fisher Price Rock N Play Sleeper, which is basically a bassinet at an incline.  Dr. Z says sleeping at an incline is great because it helps with reflux (Mace doesn't really seem to have that problem though) and drainage of their ears/nose/throat.  He sleeps pretty well in that thing.....but he's growing reeaally fast....and won't be able to use it forever!  So we've practiced napping flat in the crib lately......today is the first day it has gone exceptionally well.  Love having a video monitor to check on him....


As for sleeping at night, it has sure been a struggle lately. Mace has slept for 6 hours straight three times.  He will regularly sleep 4-5 hours, but dang, there is a big difference between 4 and 5.....I feel like I can sort of function on 5.  Not even remotely function on 4.  

Two other problems about getting up after only 4-5 hours of sleep.  

1) I haven't figured out how to feed, diaper, and get him back to sleep in less than an hour.  It is soooo draining to just be AWAKE for an HOUR in the middle of the night.  How come no one told me about how hard that is??!  

2) Sometimes Mace just wants to hang out.  Wide awake, smiling, wanting to play.  An hour turns into two.  I am so frustrated and anxious about being exhausted by that point that I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.  Rob is my savior once we get to two hours and I can't take it anymore.  Then it's his turn to try!

During the day, it's easy to say, well he's only nine weeks old, he'll sleep great at night eventually!  In the middle of the night, it's a lot harder to think that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment