Thursday, January 24, 2013

A best friend

Dominic & Mace, BFF

I love teaching middle school because middle school kids feel everything.  They are so funny and cool and can talk to you pretty normally, yet are vulnerable and can be crushed like an ant on the sidewalk literally five seconds after the best moment of their entire lives.  

Valentine's Day is coming up.  A holiday that some middle schoolers get excited about yet some all (to some extent, I'm certain) dread.  Because it's not all hearts and cupid for the kid who gets left out of the valentines and flowers that all their friends seem to receive.  

When it seems like 

Every. single. person. ON THE PLANET got something for Valentine's Day.  Has friends on Valentine's Day.  Except for me.  :(

It makes me sick.

But that isn't going to happen at my school this year!  No kid will feel that way.  Valentine's Day is going to be awesome!.....I think our school has a great plan to make everyone feel truly cared about......and not patronized.  I get butterflies thinking about it....

And it has me thinking about my own kid.  And how desperately I want him to have friends and be loved and be normal and have people care about him.  And never be the one left out on Valentine's Day.

Mace has a best friend at daycare.  Dominic and Mace are the same age and gravitate toward each other all day long to share toys and play and babble and be best buddies.  Is there anything cuter than little baby friends??!  Dominic's mom actually watches them in the infant room, and I couldn't ask for a sweeter, more trustworthy person to have watching my little guy.  I love getting pictures like this one during the day, knowing Mace is happy and included and has a wonderful little buddy!

So for now I can continue to focus on encouraging my sweet, goofy, crazy, catty, hormonal, thoughtful, sneaky, hilarious middle school kids (okay so that would be one kid....on one day).... because my own kid has got a friend :))

Oh and he's also got these sweet V Day mittens & hat :))


Valentine's Day 2013, we've got it made.

12 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by! I'm following you back! Love your son's name BTW! Can't wait to read more of your blog! :-)
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middle school is such a turbulent time. Mad props for teaching that age!
    Those two boys are SO cute together. Too.Much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! Your son is really adorable. I used to teach third grade before Cam came along. I don't think I'm tough enough for middle school! Hope Valentine's Day at school is a success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is so sweet! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooo cute!!!
    you've definitely got it made <3

    -Marsa
    The DayLee Journal"

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, that hat is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I totally remember Valentine's Day in middle school - I shudder just thinking about it! And second, where can I get myself a pair of your son's mittens and his hat in adult size?! I love them! Adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DARLING! you are the cutest, and so is your son! the middle schoolers are lucky to have you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sub over at the middle school more than anywhere else, so I know how that hormonal and emotional stuff goes, too! Yesterday, I overheard some girls talking about how they were going to buy each other carnations so they all got one. I was tempted to head down to the office and buy a whole bunch to send out, myself! I remember that dreadful flower-handing-out day. It's amazing to see how much the kids change in just a couple of years- the fifth graders are incredibly different from the eighth graders.

    Your son and his buddy are so. terribly. cute.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following you now, too! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing all our carnations randomly......to fit with our school theme of random acts of kindness.....so we are having pre-set messages like song lyrics, etc.....and kids choose who to buy for & send them to....but it won't say who it is from. Every kid will get one. There will still be some kids that get ten and some that get one......but at least there won't be names attached for the kids to see and hear about who DIDN'T send them one, etc. We will see how it goes!

      Delete
  10. I tried to add your blog to my "follow list", and it wouldn't let me for some reason, saying it couldn't find a feed for it?? Not sure what to do about that! The boys together are SO cute. Dominic was one of our top name choices the first time around :)

    ReplyDelete