Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Our parenting style

Now that Mace is cruising around furniture, trying to climb stairs, pushing his walker around, getting in to potted plants/Lilly's food bowl/the pots and pans and generally everything else, we have found ourselves constantly relying on the parenting style that we decided on long ago--and feel we are getting really good at!

Winging it.

And also the Google-it method.

We don't have a damn clue what we are doing most of the time ever.  We let Mace do pretty much whatever he wants until danger is imminent.   We let him cry himself to sleep sometimes.  We let the dog lick his face.  We say no a lot.  I take pictures of him looking smarter than he is.


He isn't signed up for any lessons or gyms or anything.  (He does have a zoo pass!)  He doesn't understand the concept of a sippy cup.  We don't have one of those shopping cart cover things.  Sometimes he crawls around with his own sock in his mouth.  Sometimes he tries to crawl in to the dishwasher.


We do say good job a lot!  And we clap a lot.  And give lots of kisses and hugs and high fives.  Lots of pretend sneezes and coughs for giggles.  Lots of Little Bunny Foofoo singing!  Strolls in the stroller and shopping carts.  Splish-splashing at bath time.  Reading good stories.  Snuggling him while he naps 99% of the time on the weekends.  

I hope Mace is happy.  I sure hope we don't screw him up.  He's our favorite guy and such a sweetheart.  And so dang cute.

11 comments:

  1. Your parenting method sounds so much like ours!
    You're awesome parents, there is no way you are screwing up that adorable little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you said here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something tells me you guys are doing a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post. I could have written this myself :). We have never had a shopping cart cover either, and just tonight Olive took her sock off and put it in her mouth. I was kind of thinking "gross". "so gross". But also? "good hand-eye coordination there!". Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So crazy and totally off subject but we also got married in July on July 13th to be exact what are the odds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your parenting style is perfect! I hope Matthew and I are like that, but I think its hard to tell until it actually happens. Mace is so friggin cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How incredibly cute is your little munchkin!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw he's adorable and your parenting style sounds perfect. I LOVE (and laughed out loud) at the picture of him with his name spelled. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl! My parenting style is pretty much identical to yours! Haha! We don't have a damn clue, nor do we care. As long as he's happy, healthy, and knows he's loved - that's all that matters to us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're in the same boat over here! A lot of times he perhaps is playing with something he perhaps shouldn't, and it's like "if it makes him happy and isn't immediate danger". You just have to do your best to keep them happy, healthy and safe, and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You all sounds like us with our parenting style. I am so much more laid back than I thought I would be...and I like it. Miss Sally seems perfectly fine too me :) You little man is so cute!

    ReplyDelete