Tuesday, June 25, 2013

1st birthday


Mace had a great birthday party, especially considering the fact that I have absolutely no business hosting any kind of party whatsoever.  Me=not domestic.  Thank God for my mom, who could host a party of 20 if they just barged in at any moment (which sometimes they did when I was in high school.....at about midnight.....yeah, my mom is the best...)  

Lots of family and friends came to celebrate with Mace.  He enjoyed celebrating by mostly clinging to my leg and avoiding everyone else.  So that was fun.  Whenever I managed to sneak away for a second, he would spot me, howl, and come running......stranger danger much?
Birthday cake.  How many pictures did I look at on Pinterest of kids in the cutest outfits EVER diving in to their gourmet smash cakes.....soooo many.    Mace's cake had a ton of Reddi-Whip on it if that counts as gourmet.  And his outfit.....well, it was his birthday after all.....What better time to sport his birthday suit?  I had high hopes of pictures with whipped cream cutely covering his face and hands and him with a sort of deer-in-the-headlights look of SERIOUSLY I CAN EAT THIS?!  But the cake smash was pretty uneventful.  He just sort of played in the whipped cream and flicked some on the floor for the dog.  


I have a one-year-old!  I guess this isn't what you really think about when you first find out you are expecting a baby.  At least it wasn't what I thought about.  I thought about how I was going to have a tiny little guy who needed cute clothes and a perfect nursery.  (Turns out he slept in our room for half of his life so far and we do all our playing in the living room.  But he sure has a cute room :)).....I forgot about the growing up part until it started happening right in front of my face.  Watching him grow up is the absolute best.  Every day gets better and better!
/// Mace had a super special guest at his party.....his pal Marcus all the way from California!!.....but I have too much to say about it, so this is going to be continued.....Desiree's recap is perfect, so go read that and look at her pictures!!  I'm excited to tell my side soon :))) ///

22 comments:

  1. I kind of love that you're self-admitted non-domestic. And I love that it was no big deal that everything wasn't perfect. I've been putting so much pressure on myself - ALREADY - for Jack's birthday party. It's not even until September. I have to keep reminding myself that he won't even remember what happened so to not stress out about it. And there's nothing wrong with Redi-Whip on a cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so that last cake smash picture with his finger in his mouth is just about the cutest picture I've ever seen! I love it! I am incredibly domestically challenged, so it's probably a good thing I don't have kids. I'm a little worried that the whole cake would consist of Redi-Whip and nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way about the smash cake. Then Parker decided to just bawl the entire time and refused to eat it! lol. At the time I was all bummed but looking back it is just funny and so his personality. I agree about not picturing past the baby stage, but trust me the toddler stage is just as fun (if not more)! You have a beautiful little family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome that you guys met! The pictures on her blog of the four of you are great. Mace looks adorable with his cake, and I like that it isn't gourmet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stanger danger! Hahaha. So me and the husband have this debate going on lately...about the cake smash! He saw me looking through pinterest and saw a picture of one and was appalled for some reason. He's never heard of them and thinks they are absolutely crazy...so whenever somebody else mentions a cake smash now I get excited. They are totally a "thing" people do, right?! I think they are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Mace! You guys are such a cute family and I agree, let's be BFF's :) Every age I think, this is the best age yet, and then the next month passes and I think nope this is it. It's the best when they start talking to you and you can have a conversation about their day, whether it's made up or not. =) Enjoy the next year, it goes by WAY too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the birthday banner! Definitely pinterest worthy : )

    nicole @ first comes love...
    nicoledschaak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your banner and outfit! he is so sweet.
    happy birthday mace! you enjoy that cake little man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a sweet celebration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cutie! Jaren did the same thing with his cake :) Happy Birthday Mace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. UGH! I'm so bummed we missed the sort-of smashing.
    As for hosting, you did a fab job! I had a cider in hand, so that equals winning in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Watch out - the second year goes even faster! My son is less than 2 months away from being 2 and I can't even believe it.

    I love the pancake picture :)

    Just found your blog - I'm in central Iowa too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. I love the "stranger danger" comment....both of my kids had very big 1st birthday parties and it was overwhelming for both of them. :) I love the family picture at the end. And what better way to eat the smash cake than in his birthday suit? Looks like it was a great first party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to your little guy. He is adorable! What a fun bday party. Love the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the cutest little family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!! Happy Birthday Sweet Boy!!! He looks so cute with that big cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you ever imagine a year could go by so fast? We are closing in on 8 months and I'm so shocked at how fast it's flown by! Happy birthday little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday to your little man!!! His party looks like it was so fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cake looks AWESOME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM. I totally want to eat that cake. What a cute party!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable bunting decorations for someone non domestic :) It's amazing how fast the first year goes...they'll be teenagers before we know it. Happy Birthday Mace!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to your little boy! He is adorable.

    ReplyDelete