Thursday, August 01, 2013

A dwarf's tale

Heigh ho. Heigh ho. School starts in a couple weeks.

Last year I was still on leave with Mace, so I went to the first couple days of school to get things rolling and then had a few weeks off. Last year I was actually sort of ready to go back. Newborn + nursing was beyond exhausting, and I was looking forward to wearing normal clothes (I'm sure yoga pants are totally normal for a person who say, works out or DOES YOGA).

A challenge I faced last year was that we had just moved our eighth graders to a new school, soooo by the time I went back a few weeks in, I was sort of lost all the time, didn't know all of the new teachers, never ate lunch due to nursing....and just never really got into the swing of things.  And was hungry.

I'm not ready to go back to school yet.

Now that Mace is actually pretty fun to hang out with and now that he stuffs his face with solid foods and now that I don't wear yoga pants every day, I'm not looking forward to going back as much as I usually am this time of year. And actually it isn't even that I want to stay home with Mace. Not completely anyway. He has a grand time with his pals at daycare and has much more fun there than with me. Last year I just got off to a bad start and I just haven't really clicked with the new building and new setup yet.

((Is it weird that teacher burnout typically happens in the first five years and I am just starting my sixth? I don't think that's what I have....I've always thought of myself as the mentor type who would help new teachers through that....)) 

I'm hoping that browsing all the cool back-to-school stuff at Target + impulse clothing buys will help me get in the mood for school. I mean, I know once school starts I'll be excited. The kids! I can't wait to meet all the new eighth graders. I love teaching middle schoolers....every day is different and these kids are such a fun age to be around and try to positively influence.

And since becoming a parent, it's about even more than the kids...it's a lot about their parents too. I'll get in the back-to-school mode because I want all my kids' parents to have no doubts about sending their kids to school here.....I want them to know that their kid's teachers are AWESOME and our school is the BEST EVER.

Heigh ho.

10 comments:

  1. I love people that love middle schoolers. I can't even fathom such a thing. :) I taught pre-k for 5 years and THAT was my jam. But I can't comprehend liking 13 year olds or wanting to be around them all day. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be tough thinking about getting back into the swing of things! It seems like you are really passionate about your job which is great and hey a little shopping never hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, with your enthusiasm, I'm sure you'll kick the beginning of school's butt this year. And hey, if the first day is rough, Target is always open. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos for teaching middle schoolers, and LIKING it. I'm pretty sure I was at the peak of my crap-o-meter in middle school. Blah.
    Find some cute impulse buys in KC!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how teachers do it... I could never have the summer off and be able to go back to my job :) Also, I LOVE middle school teachers... oddly enough, that's what I went to school for... to be a middle school French teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised with how I kind of wanted to go back to school when Quinn was a newborn...I totally relate to that feeling of wanting to do something else besides nurse and wear yoga pants :) Now, that she is getting a little bigger it's getting to be more fun and interesting. Go to Old Navy and get some cute cardis and a shellac mani...that will get you in the mood for school ;) I'm pretty bummed that I don't have a classroom to set up this year! But, also looking forward to trying some mommy things this fall with Q!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully when you see their faces on the first day, you'll be so excited to be back into it! Good luck and go splurge on something fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck!! I didn't realize you weren't a SAHM. Oops. Like the new blog design btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love how you think about parents as well. and oh my. i feel like i'm getting into the school spirit (even though i'm not a teacher or a student) with all those back to school target commercials! reminds me of my trapper keeper days and i just want to say.. stop! i'm not ready for fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping that things are better and smoother this go round! You sound like an awesome teacher and those kids are blessed to have someone that cares as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete