Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Summer

I just have to say that this is the best summer ever.
We haven't really traveled away from home too far and we haven't really done anything truly incredible.  But the weather has been amazing, Mace and I find something fun to do every day, and it's sweet corn season.
We have visited Omaha and Kansas City, been to Adventureland a few times, the zoo a million times, baseball games, the splash pad, the beach, new parks.  We have visited our families and they have come to visit us.  Mace has played with his cousins and buddies.  And bottle-fed baby goats.
  And it's August already!  But that's okay with me.  My brother and I have birthdays, my niece has a birthday, and my parents celebrate their anniversary.  August was always fun growing up.  It also means back-to-school--which is great too.  I don't think I would love summer so much and appreciate all my time off with Mace as much if it never came to an end.
That said, you won't hear me counting down the days of summer and trying to cram in as much as I can at the end.  It's so depressing to see all over my Facebook newsfeed all the teachers who are lamenting the end of summer and are so sad to only have a few more days at home with their kids.  I mean, I get it, I do, not working is always better than working and of course summer should last forever and who doesn't want to win the Powerball and go do whatever they want??  But even though school starts soon, the weather will still be great!   And I will be having fun at my school, Mace will be having fun at his school, and we can still go to the splash pad in the afternoon.
  PLUS.  I just really love back-to-school anyway.  Can't beat the first day of school!  Especially middle school.  Kids excited to see each other.  New clothes, new school supplies.  Embarrassed because they can't open their locker.  Embarrassed because they accidentally left some of the tags on their new clothes and how can I pull this off with no one noticing?  Curious and ready to learn a bunch of new things.  Parents glad to get back in a routine but nervous to trust someone else with their child.  School is great.  Which is why I plan to go to middle school forever I guess :))  

Which reminds me.....I need to do some more back-to-school shopping.

And plan future vaycays.  Because summer really will end sometime and then I will have to go on a trip.

byyyee!

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about back to school. It'll be great to get back into some structure and routine again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mace's smile says it all -- summer is super fun for your family :) and the tags bit made me smile. back to school stirs up some kind of excitement huh. i'm always reminded of back to school shopping and getting new school supplies. trapper keepers come to mind especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the adventures you guys have had. Looks like an awesome summer, and Mace is so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy who love him so much!! Happy back to school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear you're having a great summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I love your positive attitude about summer ending!! I'm trying to find the good in it as well and nothing beats back to school shopping - I could shop school supplies for days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys have seriously had the best summer. So much fun, with not so much stress.
    I also know of a great place you can plan a vacation to...

    ReplyDelete