Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Introducing...


our sweet daughter Remy Eve. 

She was due to arrive on Halloween but had plans of her own and came in a whirlwind on Wednesday morning, October 12th. She is a tiny little doll baby at just 4 lbs, 14 ounces, and she is perfect.

The Tuesday night before she was born, I couldn't sleep because of contractions that were coming every ten minutes or so. They weren't terrible, but I couldn't sleep through them. However, they never progressed like when I had Mace. They were just irritating and kept coming. Wednesday morning I called into my OB and they told me they'd like me to come in to check my cervix--to see if I was in active labor or not. My appointment was at 10:30.

At 10:40, my doctor declared that my cervix was closed and that I was not in labor. I texted Rob that he could carry on with his day, no baby today! Then I was hooked up to the nonstress test monitor to check on my contractions and baby's heartbeat. Ten minutes into the NST, the nurse took the print out to the doctor to read and quickly returned--with two doctors and a couple other nurses. The baby's heart rate was decelerating with every contraction and the doctors said she needed to be delivered NOW. 

When I tried to call Rob back, he was in a meeting, so I had to frantically text him that I needed him RIGHT NOW. When he called, the nurse told him that they would take me by ambulance to the hospital around the corner and he should meet us there. We would be doing an emergency c-section as soon as we got there.

I was more scared than I've ever been in my life. The doctors and nurses were reassuring--the baby's heartbeat was good, it just dropped with my contractions. She could not tolerate contractions anymore and needed to come now. It would be okay. It was just going to happen now. As reassuring and calm as they were to me, their urgency was the message I got. We were not going to wait around for me to be induced. The baby needed to come ASAP.

The c-section was fast and went perfectly, and one of my favorite doctors did the surgery. Remy was born at 11:57am, not even 90 minutes after my OB appt. I think I'm still in shock as to how fast it all happened and that she is actually here.  
Mace is absolutely thrilled to be a big brother and is a great helper, although I'm sure it's hard on him too and such a big change. He was very surprised to have Daddy and Grandpa pick him up from school on Wednesday and tell him they were going to the hospital to see his sister. Mace replied, "But it's not Halloween yet!" 
At her doctor appointment at five days old, Remy was already back up to her birth weight. Her bilirubin levels have had to be checked a couple of times, but they are now down, so she should be off doctor appointments for a while.

She is absolutely perfect and I still can't believe we have two children!

4 comments:

  1. They are so cute together. Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a story! I would have been so scared too. I'm glad she is healthy and everything turned out okay. You have a beautiful little baby, and a perfect family :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! She is perfect. Love the swaddle with her name on it. Where did you get that? And big brother looks so proud to take on his new role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Scary indeed, but I'm so glad she got here safely!

    ReplyDelete